The Adrigole G.A.A. Football Club was founded in 1927, and we have officially taken part in competitions since then, though gaelic football was played in the locality for many years prior to 1927.
Club colours are red and white hoops.
We competed at junior level from 1927-1975 inclusive, upgraded to intermediate in 1976-1979 inclusive, senior 1980 and 1981. Intermediate 1982 and 1983 and back to junior in 1984 to date untill winning the junior county in 2006 and returning to the intermediate grade.
Our greatest honour was winning the county intermediate football championship in August 19th 1979, when we defeated Kildorrery 2-09 to 1-06 at Pairc Ui Chaoimh.
We won the county intermediate league in 1977 and county division 4 league in 2009
We have had many memorable achievements, from the mid-sixties. During the past 10-15 years, in particular, we had strong under-age teams, winning many Beara divisional competitions, from u12 to minor (u18) our greatest achievements at under-age, was at minor grade, when in 1997 and again in 1998, we won the county minor 12- a- side championship and league competitions, to date no other club in the county, have won both these competitions back to back. In 2000 our minor team won the county 12-a-side league, and were defeated in the county championship.
We won the Beara Junior 'A' championship in 1929, 1938, 1961, 1962, 1966, 1968, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1984, 1986, 1989, 1993, 1994, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006.
The Beara Junior 'B' championship commenced in 1996. Adrigole won in 1997, 2001, 2002, 2010 & 2011.The cup, which we play for, was presented to the Beara divisional board by the Adrigole club in memory of one of our players, Donal Jim O' Sullivan, who died tragically in 1972.
In November 2006, Adrigole finally won the trophy which had eluded them for so long, the junior a county championship. They defeated Grenagh in the final on a score line of 0-5 to 0-3.
The following players won championship medals with cork:
- Mort O' Shea - 1911 all Ireland senior football C' Ship
- Sean O' Shea - 1937 all Ireland minor hurling C' Ship
- Jim Downing - 1951 all Ireland junior football C' Ship
- Colm O' Shea 1957 - Munster senior football C' Ship
- Bernie O' Neil 1965 - Munster u21 football C' Ship
- John O' Shea 1971 - Munster minor football C' Ship
- Bernie O' Neil 1967, 1971 - Munster senior football C' Ships
- Sean Murty O' Shea - 1972 all Ireland minor football C' Ship
- Kevin Jer O' Sullivan - 1973 all Ireland senior football C' Ship and Munster football C' Ships 1971 & 1974.
- Sean Murty O' Shea - 1974 Munster football u21 C' Ship
- Kevin green - 1977 Munster minor football C' Ship
- Joseph Joe O' Sullivan - 1980 national league medal
- Denis Harrington - 1987 Munster minor football C' Ship
- Michael Harrington - 1993 & 1996 junior football C' Ship
- Brendan Jer O' Sullivan - 2002 Munster senior football C' Ship.
- Kevin Jer O' Sullivan (jr) - 2005 Munster minor football C' Ship
- Barry Goggin - 2007 All Ireland junior football C' Ship ( captain)
- David Harrington - 2013 All Ireland junior football C' Ship
- Kevin Jer O' Sullivan was an all star in 1972 & 1973
- Kevin Jer O' Sullivan, Sean Murty O' Shea, Eddie Power and Bernie O' Neill, played on Munster football teams in Railway Cup competitions with Sean O' Shea and Kevin Jer winning medals.
The following players won All-Ireland senior medals with Scoil Phobal Bheara in 1994 - Joe Downing, John Lock O' Sullivan, Aidan Finn O' Sullivan, Aidan con O' Sullivan,
In 1997 two of our players had the distinction of winning 4 county medals. Brendan Jer O' Sullivan and Tim O' Shea , both won county minor 12-a-side, championship and league medals, under 21 county football championship, medals and senior football championship medals with Beara.
Tim O' Shea and Paul Goggin won Munster vocational medals with cork in 1998 and 2000 respectively.
Brendan Jer O' Sullivan played with Ireland in the international rules series in 2001 (winners) and 2002
David Harrington won a Sigerson cup medal with UCC in 2014
The football pitch in Adrigole was developed in 1978, the catchment area used to consist of Adrigole and Glengarriff, until 1982 when a separate club was formed in Glengarriff.
In 2001 we carried out major drainage of our football pitch. We applied for and were granted a grant from the department of tourism, sport and recreation, under the sports capital programme 2000. We fundraised locally to raise the remainder of the funds required to complete the project.
In 2002 we upgraded our pitch lighting and were again successful in obtaining a grant from the department of tourism, sport and recreation, under the sports capital programme 2001. We received grants from the G.A.A. Munster council. The club is very grateful to everyone who assisted in the fundraising for these two major projects.